Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Reiki Rocks!

Until the other night I was a Reiki virgin. I'd heard of it and seen it on TV (as if that lends credence) but I had no experience with this Japanese technique. For several months I've endured constant, chronic pain. I've tried everything I know to alleviate it. I've hounded friends and relatives and doctors and scoured the Internet but nothing I found has given relief.

A local metaphysical store and sanctuary holds classes on the stress reducing, relaxing and physical healing practice weekly. Each week I receive their email newsletter and Reiki night is always mentioned. Each week I want to go but something seems to get in the way. It finally dawned on me that I was probably getting in the way of myself. My own health and best interests were being sabotaged by my fear of the unknown, the unknown factor of Reiki and doubts that it would be beneficial.

During the day before this week's Reiki night I had more pain relief than I had in months, but still a great deal of pain. Also, I found myself "jazzed" and full of anticipation because I decided this was the big night - I'd attend Reiki services. I arrived at the metaphysical center and milled around with others in attendance. Before Reiki sessions began we joined hands in a circle and were led through some relaxation techniques. We were brought back to the present and, fortunately, first timers were to be seen by practitioners first.

Each attendee had signed a numbered sign-in sheet and clipped a plastic badge to our clothing noting the number associated with our name. Practitioners called the newcomers by number and we were led into a darkened room with relaxing new age music. Four beds/tables stood waiting eager subjects. I removed my shoes, stretched out on the bed, closed my eyes and began to breathe deeply and relax in a method I've used for years. Without speaking two practitioners approached my outstretched form and touched me lightly. I was surprised because I thought Reiki didn't include touch. The touch was welcome, however, as the person at the foot of the bed massaged my feet extensively, sometimes with an object I perceived to be a stone. The person at the head of the bed layed on hands on my head, neck and shoulders. Other parts of my body received attention during the session as well.

The state of relaxation I reached was incredible, certainly the deepest state I've found myself in. During this time I sensed the words, "There is no pain here." The phrase must have been repeated a thousand time in a soothing woman's voice. Against a purple background I perceived a beautiful woman in lavender, diaphanous robes standing behind a basin of water. The woman's image never left, but behind her a everchanging scene of earthworks, a small waterfall of iridescent purple/blue water over well-worn rounded stones and an image I find quite difficult to explain other than it appeared as thought it were a fountain firework. The "fireworks" seemed to be water spraying through a vessel in arcs to the left and the right.

The end of the session wasn't disappointing in the least, though I expected to be let down. The practitioners led me out of the room and were glad to answer my questions. I was virtually pain free and still in a state of meditation so I chose to take a seat and bask in the wonder of the moment. Within moments I was slammed with whole-body pain, surely as intense as if I were struck by a freight train. My thoughts immediately transferred back to "there is no pain here" and the pain left in moments. I couldn't help but wonder if the sudden pain were a test I subconsiously threw up as a roadblock to myself.

The basis of Reiki is the unseen life force energy that flows through us. It is believed that if one's life force energy is low we are prone to sickness or the effects of stress. When our energy is high, Reiki practitioners believe we are more able to obtain health and happiness.

The experience was wonderful and I plan to return if for no other reason, to experience the deep state of meditation.

Be in peace. - Bethany Moran

DAY TWO
I awoke today with significant pain but later I was virtually pain free. Was it the Reiki? I think so. It's true I didn't get a session this morning but I did put the lessons of the other night into practice. I relaxed, breathed deeply and reframed my reference to pain. Remembering the state I was in during my session, I called to mind, and repeatedly said, "There is no pain here." I didn't have a voila, pain-free moment; however, I did have a huge decrease in pain. I noticed my shoulders and neck weren't drawn into painful spasms. I noticed that I knew I'd be OK even if the discomfort increased. I noticed I didn't call my condition "pain" anymore, I called it discomfort. So for those who doubt the effectiveness of the physical process, I'd like you to know that I've changed the way I think about pain and my response to it which can only be construed as success in any book.

No comments:

Post a Comment